Menumenu button

Frequently Asked Questions

Who do I contact for claims related issues?
Students must contact Great-West Life customer service directly to inquire about payment status and claims history details. Your Benefit Plan Office does not have access to your claims details.

Who do I contact for eligibility and enrolment inquiries?
Students must contact the Student Benefits Plan Office for eligibility and/or enrolment status.

Why a health and dental plan?
Costs for dental and health services are at an all time high and show no sign of reprieve. Students on fixed incomes are especially susceptible to these increases, and the last thing they want to spend these fixed monies on is an unforeseen accident, dental or medical procedure. Putting even routine procedures off can have monumental effects for students, as missing classes or study time can have disastrous consequences. Considering these points, CSA & GSA has worked to design and implement a reasonably priced health and dental insurance plan. This plan can aid students in maintaining a quality of health, which can ensure that avoidable medical emergencies do not endanger the pursuit of their studies.

Why is the plan mandatory?
With a mandatory plan, the insurance risk is spread over a larger number of students, thereby lowering the cost per student, making the fee in a range that is affordable to students. An individual health and dental plan can cost as much as 5 times the current student fee.

Is this plan the same as my provincial health care?
No. The Student Benefits Plan is an extended health and dental plan, which supplements your existing provincial health care. It DOES NOT replace your provincial health care. Student benefits are payable after any provincial health care benefits have been exhausted. This plan does not cover user fees.

How do I pay the fee?
The fees for the health and dental plans will be assessed automatically by the institution at registration if you meet the eligibility criteria previously listed.

IMPORTANT - May start students are not automatically assessed or enrolled in the Student Dental Plan. In order to be covered under the Student Dental Plan you must opt in and pay the fee via the Benefit Plan Office prior to the applicable spring deadline.

If I have existing Health & Dental coverage, may I opt-out of the Student Health & Dental Plan?
If you have other Dental coverage, you may opt-out of the Dental Plan, no problem! The forms are available in the Student Benefits Plan Office, or may be found online. The deadline to submit your opt-out form is posted on this website and in the Student Benefits Plan Office. Your completed form must include documentation of existing insurance and must be submitted through the Student Benefits Plan Office.

However, you may NOT opt-out of the Health Plan. The Health Plan is a mandatory fee in order to keep the costs for all Undergraduate students at a reasonable cost. Additionally, this allows our Student Health Services department to bulk-purchase several drugs and distribute them for a significantly reduced cost, saving students a ton of money down the road!

Can I coordinate my student benefits with my existing benefits?
Benefits under your student plan can be coordinated with your other plan (ie. if you are covered through a parent, spouse or employer plan) to increase your benefit up to a total of 100% of the actual expense(s) incurred.

What if I miss the Opt-Out deadline?
You will not be able to opt-out of coverage at any other point during the school year. For example, if your program starts in September, you must opt-out prior to the end of the Fall deadline. The same rule applies for opting in (unless you lose your comparable coverage, see below for loss of coverage information). NO EXCEPTIONS will be made if the deadline is missed. It is the student's responsibility to pay the plan fees, should they miss the applicable opt-out deadline.

What if I or my family loses our comparable coverage?
If comparable coverage used to opt-out of the student plan(s) terminates, or coverage provided to cover your family terminates you have 30 days from loss of coverage to notify the Student Benefits Plan Office in order to be covered under the health and/or dental plan(s). Confirmation of loss of coverage is also required on re-application for coverage. It is your responsibility to apply for benefits and provide payment of the family coverage fee prior to the 30-day deadline.

Service Members

Find a Practitioner/Pharmacy