Menumenu button

Student Health & Wellness!mystudentplan is a benefits plan for students and can provide coverage for prescription drugs, vision care, dental care, mental health counseling, and more. The plan is designed to supplement provincial health insurance and provide additional access to medical services.


Plan Enrollment

Want to know if you are eligible for the plan, your plan's start and end date, or how to take advantage of more than one insurance plan?

Eligibility Criteria

All eligible domestic and international students are automatically enrolled in the Health and Dental Plan provided by the Red River College Polytechnic Students' Association. This plan covers a range of health and dental services that are not covered by provincial health insurance or International Student Medical Insurance Plan - mycanadaplan, plus. The Plan fee is included in your tuition each term you are eligible for the plan.

The Health and Dental Plan was approved by referendum; as a result, the Health and Dental Fee is a mandatory requirement of your enrollment at Red River College Polytechnic and must be paid by the due date set by Red River College Polytechnic to avoid overdue penalties. The Plan provides you access to comprehensive and affordable health and dental coverage starting from the first day of the month when your program starts.

Students must meet the following eligibility criteria to be automatically enrolled in the plan:

  • Students enrolled in an applicable program at Red River College Polytechnic; and
  • Students assessed the Student Association Fee; and
  • Students residing in Canada studying in person or online; and
  • Students under the age of 70.

Status & Band Sponsored Students

You are included in the student extended Health and Dental Plan if you meet the eligibility criteria described above. Please consult your Band contact regarding payment of your extended Health and Dental Plan fees or complete the opt-out form by the applicable deadline if have comparable coverage.

Enrollment Confirmation

If you are not sure if you meet the eligibility criteria, please visit Red River College Polytechnic Self Service ( and log in using your account. If you see the Health Dental Fee included in your tuition, you are covered by the Health and Dental Plan provided by the Students Association.

If you are unsure about whether or not you are eligible for the Student Health and Dental plans, please contact your Benefit Plan Office at prior to any applicable deadlines.

Validation Period

There is a 45-day validation period from the start of the term. During this time, you will have to pay out of pocket for all eligible Health and Dental expenses and keep the receipts. After the enrollment process is complete, you will be able to submit online claims for reimbursement and your Plan Card will be automatically activated.

The validation period applies only to new students, students who apply for re-enrolling and family members added to the plan. Returning eligible students may continue using the health and dental plan without disruption.

Plan Card

The benefits plan card is used by eligible students enrolled in the student health and dental plans where direct billing is available. To make direct billing work for you, simply show your card when you use eligible services covered by the plan. Direct billing is based on your service provider's billing practices and may not always be available.

To avoid issues when using your Plan Card, you must register with Canada Life at and update your address, including the postal code in the profile section because some providers cannot direct bill if your address has not been added to your profile with Canada Life.

If your service provider does not offer direct billing, you will pay the full amount out of pocket for eligible expenses and submit an online claim for reimbursement through You must attach receipts and related documentation when submitting claims.

The Plan Card is automatically activated for new eligible students once the validation period is complete. Eligible returning students can continue using the same Plan Card as the policy information remains the same. You do not need to generate a new card every year.

The same Plan card is used where students have added family members to their health and dental plans.

Canada Life online tool is an online tool that provides you access to your group benefits plan. It is important to register on Canada Life once your plan is active. For new students, there are approximately 45-60 days from the start date of your program for the enrollment process to be completed. Through you can submit claims, check balances, investigate claim status and history, and set up Direct Deposit of claim payments. For more information, please visit the Submitting Claims section.

Welcome to your Student Group Plan, watch a short video about your benefits

Coverage Period

Effective Date

Eligible students will receive coverage starting on the first day of the month their program begins.

To confirm the effective date of your plan, please contact your Benefit Plan Office at redriverplan@mystudentplan.caand provide your student ID number.

Benefit Year

A year or 12 months of benefits coverage under the Student Health and Dental Plan. During the benefit year, eligible students can use their benefits according to the limit amount defined per service. You cannot carry forward any benefits. The benefit year starts the same day as the effective date of your coverage.

The benefits will restart every year if you remain an eligible student who is charged the Health and Dental Plan fees.


If the effective date of your plan is September 1st, your benefit year starts on September 1st and ends on August 31st. If you are attending college and are charged the plan fees for the following September, your coverage will restart on September 1st.

Termination Date

The termination date of your benefits is the last day of the coverage calculated from the effective date of the Plan. If you want to confirm the termination date of your plan, please contact your Benefit Plan Office at

Manitoba Pharmacare

Manitoba Pharmacare is a drug benefit program for eligible Manitobans, regardless of disease or age, whose income is seriously affected by high prescription drug costs. Pharmacare coverage is based on both your total family income and the amount you pay for eligible prescription drugs. The total family income is adjusted to include a spouse and the number of dependents, if applicable. Each year you are required to pay a portion of the cost of your eligible prescription drugs. This amount is your annual Pharmacare deductible. Pharmacare sets your deductible based on your adjusted family income.

Applying for coverage through Manitoba Pharmacare

Manitobans Students can complete a one time application for coverage through Pharmacare which they provide consent to allow the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to release income data to Manitoba Health in order to determine co-payment and deductible amounts. Please print and sign Pharmacare Application and Consent Authorization ( then email it to

Manitoba Pharmacare & The Student Health Plan

Domestic Students who reside in Manitoba will be required to complete the Pharmacare application prior to complete the Plan Card registration form. Once the application has been submitted, students can begin using their Plan Card at the pharmacy.

Domestic students out of the province or international students are not eligible for Manitoba Pharmacare.

Students within the standard validation period for their semester period of enrollment will be able to access their benefits upon completion of the validation period. Claims will automatically be assessed first through Manitoba Health using the student's health card number and any outstanding portion will then be submitted electronically to Canada Life via the Plan Card.

Coordination of Benefits

For eligible students who already have a benefit plan, you can utilize both your private plan and your student plan to obtain more coverage. This is called Coordination of Benefits and allows you to maximize your Health & Dental coverage!

How to Get up to 100% Coverage

Use your Student Health and Dental Plan and another plan from your parents, spouse, government, job, or band to maximize your coverage! Your plans can work together to make sure you're getting the most out of your coverage.

The primary insurer is the first payor of the eligible health or dental care costs. Once paid, a claim can be submitted to the secondary insurer for any remaining amounts that are eligible for coverage and not paid by the primary insurance company.

How to identify your primary insurance

If a student is eligible for the Student Health and Dental plan and the student is covered by another plan under a parent's or spouse's as a dependent, the primary insurance is the Student Health and Dental Plan.


Students who have Health or Dental coverage through their school: these plans will always pay before any plan where the student is covered as a dependent.

The Student Health and Dental plan pays first.

If a student is eligible for the Student Health and Dental plan and the student is covered by another plan under job, government, or band the primary insurance is the one you have had the longest.


Students who have Health and Dental coverage through their employer: the student needs to confirm the effective date of all insurances to determine which plan has been in effect the longest.

The plan you have had the longest pays first.

Submitting Claims

After you have identified which is your primary and secondary insurance, submit the claim to your primary insurance first. Once you receive the Explanation of Benefits, you can then submit the remaining unpaid portion to your secondary insurance.

Student Health and Dental Plan as Primary Insurance.

Submit the claim to your student plan (Canada Life). Once processed, submit any portion that remains unpaid to your secondary insurance plan.

Student Health and Dental Plan as Secondary Insurance.

If you have an alternative insurance plan that you are also the primary holder of, and that has been in effect longer than your student plan, all eligible claims will be submitted to your alternative plan first. Once the claim is processed, submit any portion that remains unpaid to your student plan.

Submitting Claims for Your Spouse (if applicable).

Submit the claim to your spouse's primary plan first. Next, any unpaid portion can be submitted to your student plan.

Submitting Claims for a Dependent Child (if applicable).

Submit the claim to the parent's plan whose birthday falls first in the year (this is their primary benefit plan). Next, any unpaid portion can be submitted to the parent’s plan whose birthday falls second in the year.

Important notes:
  • Take a copy of your original receipt before you send it to your primary plan as you will need to send a copy to the secondary plan.
  • Include a copy of the Explanation of Benefits statement received from the first claim submission (primary plan), as well as a photocopy of the originally submitted receipt when you submit to your secondary plan.

Not Eligible

My personal insurance solutions from mystudentplan

My personal insurance solutions fit the needs of students who are not eligible for the Student Health and Dental Plan. This may apply to you because you may not meet the eligibility criteria for the student plan, or you may be changing enrollment status, graduating, or leaving school. There are many coverage and enrolment options at cost-effective rates, including options that do not require medical questionnaires or exams to qualify for coverage.

Personal Insurance Scenarios

  • I don't have mystudentplan: I am not eligible to have mystudentplan and want information on purchasing personal insurance. This option also applies to students who missed the re-enroll or opt-in deadline for their student plan.
  • I am losing mystudentplan: I am graduating or leaving school and want information on purchasing personal insurance.
  • I want to cover my family: I missed the deadline to add family members to mystudentplan and want information on purchasing personal insurance for my family.

The personal insurance solutions are offered in partnership with Canada Life through their Freedom to Choose™ individual insurance products.

Notre Dame Campus

Phone: 204-632-2503
Address: RRCSA Student Benefits Plan Office
Room CM75C
2055 Notre Dame Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba. R3H 0J9

Exchange District Campus

Phone: 204-949-8537
Address: The Roblin Centre
SA Office P-110
160 Princess Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba. R3B 1K9


General Inquiries Line

Monday to Friday from 5:00am to 4:00pm PST

Phone: 1-877-746-5566 Ext. 7249